2022 – Christine Perkins Cedar City, Utah
Christine Perkins is a superwoman who has endured a lot and gives her all in life and work. She began her housekeeping career as a houseman and has worked her way up to her current role of head housekeeper. She is a single mother who does everything she can to provide for her family. At work, while Christine excels at her own tasks, she always takes the time to check in and care for her staff. Her main goal is to ensure all guests at the hotel have a positive experience while cultivating a positive work experience too.
A recent, life-threatening event showed how dedicated Christine is to her job. Unfortunately, she contracted COVID-19 while working at the hotel, which led her to have a stroke. The severity of the stroke required Christine to go to another town for treatment, but she still ensured someone called to tell her staff. Due to the stroke, she lost some of her normal functions like not knowing words, how to count, how to read and much more. Christine has since returned to her role as the head housekeeper and continues to persevere following this difficult time.
Other finalists from 2022
- Arlene Velasco – Residence Inn and Springhill Suites by Marriott in Fishkill, N.Y.
- Carolyn McCloud – Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Jean Gomez – Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- Karen Miller – The Liberty, A Luxury Collection Hotel in Boston
- Maria Bravo – Days Inn by Wyndham Galt in Galt, Calif.
- Olga Fernandez – ARIA Resort & Casino in Las Vegas
- Paula Aguilar – Wylie Hotel in Atlanta
- Traci Poyer – Sandia Resort & Casino in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Victoria Rios – Holiday Inn Morgantown in Morgantown, Pa.
2021 – Miriam Rodriguez Alvarez Patterson, Calif.
According to Miriam Rodriguez Alvarez’s manager at Best Western Plus Villa Del Lago Inn, she “has changed the housekeeping department for the better.” Miriam strives for perfection in cleanliness, and although she is deaf, she does not allow it to be an obstacle in her housekeeping role. She always has a positive attitude and regularly communicates with and shows appreciation for hotel guests. Miriam helps lift employee morale and has been instrumental in upholding cleanliness for the property during the pandemic.
Other Finalists from 2021
- Angel Alsina – Hilton Garden Inn in Fort Myers, Fla.
- Calandra Sampson – Days Hotel Flagstaff in Flagstaff, Ariz.
- Cathy Rogers – Best Western Plus Morristown Inn in Morristown, N.J.
- Jaime Meraz – Viceroy Snowmass in Snowmass Village, Colo.
- Lorena Perales – Airlie in Warrenton, Va.
- Makinson Sido – Pelican Grand Beach Resort in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Marie Rousseau – Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort in Hollywood, Fla.
- Shirley Chen – Argonaut Hotel in San Francisco
- Yen Nguyen – Motif Seattle, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel in Seattle